The cervical spine is another term for the neck region. Pain in this region is a very common condition and can lead to a great deal of suffering. In this guide from our team at Upchurch Chiropractic, you’ll learn where that pain might come from and how to address it.
What Causes Cervical Pain?
The cervical spine consists of seven vertebrae, labeled C1 through C7. In between each lies a cushion of a gel-like substance meant to provide support and smooth movement. These cushions are known as discs. Additionally, the cervical spine is made up of muscles, ligaments, nerves, and tendons – all of which play a role in your overall health and ability to move pain-free.
Unfortunately, many things can impact each – or even all – of the components in the neck.
- A cervical misalignment can lead to muscle tension, compressed nerves, and more.
- Overuse injuries can impact the muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
- Injuries like whiplash lead to muscle injuries and more.
- Poor posture can put undue pressure on the discs, muscles, and other components.
- Conditions like cervical spondylosis, osteoarthritis, and degenerative disc disease can all play a role.
These are just a few examples of the causes of cervical pain. Sometimes, it might not start in the cervical spine but rather in the upper back.
What Type of Chiropractic Care Is Available for Cervical Pain?
Treatment for cervical pain depends on the root cause of the issue. Our chiropractor will determine the best course of action, which will likely include one or several of the following methods.
- Adjustments: Adjustments to the neck and upper back can keep the vertebrae aligned, take pressure off of the nerves and other soft tissues, relieve inflammation, and improve circulation.
- Therapeutic massage: Massaging the neck – especially when done in conjunction with adjustments – can help release tension and compression, as well as improve circulation.
- Decompression therapy: Decompression is a method through which the spine and neck can be gently stretched, relieving compression and tension.
- Laser therapy: By using the power of light, the cells in the neck are stimulated to heal, leading to pain and tension relief.
Address Cervical Pain With Chiropractic Care in Royal Oak MI
If you’re feeling pain in your cervical region, you’re not hopeless. Our team at Upchurch Chiropractic is dedicated to providing natural and effective relief. Give us a call at (248) 545-8550 to schedule your appointment today.